Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rookie mistakes and 420

Yesterday I noticed a significant bump in traffic coming from StumbleUpon. I thought myself very fortunate at the time, and decided to put a 'Digg This' button on the HearWhere index page to see if I could get the site on to Digg.

I loaded the new site into production, and continued to watch the visits increase. Happy with my moderate progress, I went for a ride.

I noticed that the bounce rate was high, and that for the increase in traffic, I was actually seeing a decline in ad clicks. Thinking this was some sort of StumbleUpon anomoly (stumblers blocking ads, etc.), I continued to be high on the fact that I was getting visits which I suspect were a result of the new design.

Well, at 12:18am, Gerd Leonard (music futurist) dropped me an e-mail to let me know that the links on the links on HearWhere were not working.

DOH! A two second fix and everything is back in order. My pride hurt, feeling like an idiot that i got a good amount of visitors to the site while it was in non-working order.

So I looked through my logs to see how many visits were affected. Exactly 420.
Maybe it's a music industry thing, maybe it's because I live in Whistler. Hopefully it's a good omen.

NOTE: i don't use drugs, and don't condone there use, but 420 is a bit of an icon around here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home