Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Widget is dead, long live the widget

Just one day after Fred Wilson somewhat ominously announces the end of widgets as we know them, and mashable promotes iWidgets as the next best thing in making your website go viral, I have decided to build a quick and dirty widget for hearwhere and see what happens.

I side with Fred on the idea that for most visitors, widgets don't do much. However, of course, I like to consider the hearWhere widget a bit different. Rather than just being a showcase of what the blog writer thinks is important, the hearWhere widget uses the viewers location as the jumping off point.

Knowing that Fred is in NYC, showing me a list of upcoming shows happening in NYC doesn't help me, as I live on the other side of the continent. So, the hearWhere widget shows a small list of shows playing locally.

In no way is the widget the ultimate use of hearWhere, it pales in comparison to the abilities of the main website and the facebook app. the facebook app can show you what shows your friends are going to, and a list of shows you have decided to save.

The widget thing for me right now is a bit of a wait and see. Will anybody use it? Does anybody care?

Let me know what you think, and if you think it's a good idea, i'll dedicate more time to making the widget a better product.
For now, I'll be getting to work on another redesign of the site, and trying to get more uses, so spread the word, and go!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lilious said...

Personnaly I love widgets. They are useful for people who can use them where they want for themselves and their visitors and they are useful for widget makers as their content get spread by their fans. Might not be a priority, but still something worth keeping in mind.

June 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home